Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Private Spa

Growing up I never experienced any type of construction or remodeling inside the houses we lived in.  When Leo and I decided to remodel our 1 and only bathroom, I was completely unprepared for what lay in store.  

We had talked about a remodel for a while and decided that sometime after Julian's 2nd birthday we would start.  Little did I know Leo meant immediately following the party.  It seems the dishes were barely washed and put away when Leo started to demo the bathroom.  The shower and bathtub were dismantled in 1 day and the 4 of us quickly found out just how inconvenient it is to have no way to bathe at home.  Fortunately our relatives didn't mind having us over frequently to visit and wash up (a huge thanks to everyone who was so gracious to let use use their facilities and to all those who put the offer out there).  Thank goodness we had the clarity of mind to keep the toilet.  Aside from having no shower or bath, the house was constantly covered in a thick layer of dust and dirt from the materials being cut outside.  When I say this I mean the entire house from the kids rooms to the kitchen was dirty.  Even the grass in the back yard was dusty.  And no matter how many times I dusted, swept and mopped it was still dirty.  Yuck.

But little by little things started coming together.  Leo had a vision and I pitched in with my own ideas when I saw fit (the metallic paint was all me).  All the stone and tile went in, a new window, plumbing and electrical work.  Then the tub.  Next the shelves and cabinets followed by the counter, sink and fixtures.  At this point I am excited to shop for new bathroom accessories.  New toilet (yay).  We find a nice new mirror, but can't decide what to put behind the sink.  We settle on just paint instead of backsplash tile and we love our decision.  And finally...just yesterday...we get our shower doors.  Exactly 4 weeks later our bathroom is DONE!  

And now that I know what it feels like to live "under construction" I realize it's something I can do without.  I am in absolutely no rush to tackle the kitchen, or any other additions Leo and I like to imagine up.  Of course we will do more one day - but I think that day is far off.  So for now I am going to enjoy my own personal private spa and let the zen wash over me as I imagine I am at the Qua Spa in Caesar's Palace, Las Vegas.  Oh yea.




And just for your enjoyment - here is how we resorted to washing the kids during the remodel.



No comments: