Sunday, November 14, 2010

Dust off the old soccer cleats



Today was the first time I played soccer since August 2005. That was when I found out I was pregnant with Noah. Since then I have always found a reason (ok - excuse) to not get back on the field. After some gentle prodding from an old friend and teammate I decided to stop finding reasons not to play and just get out there to do it! Plus I don't want to set a bad example for my kids by being a lazy quitter.

Thankfully soccer is like riding a bicycle. Your skills may be rusty, you may not kick as hard or accurately and you may not be as fast as you were when you were 18 - but you never forget how to play.

One change I did notice was the crowd. 5 years ago it was young couples and singles playing at night, going out for drinks afterwards. Fans on the sideline were a rare species. When I looked at the sidelines from the field today all I saw was a sea of husbands and kids. And it made me smile to see my friends families and my own out there to support us soccer moms!

No comments: