Wednesday, November 10, 2010

My new job





For the past 2 & 1/2 months I have been trying my hand at a new job. It's probably the toughest, most patience and creativity using, and manual laboring one that I've ever had. You probably guessed it - I am a stay at home mom. This happened partially by luck, but mostly as the result of a horribly ill-matched job that I had for a portion of this year.

I have to say that I don't mind all the cleaning, laundry & dish washing, or meal cooking. I love getting to do "homework" with Noah through out the day and thinking of art projects for the kids. I enjoy trips to the library, the stores when it's time for groceries or to run errands. I can take the kids to visit family during the day, and plan dinner with more than 20 minutes to get it done.

What I don't love is that I have zero time for myself. No lunch break for me. I'm a mommy on call for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. On a day I can get both kids to nap at the same time it's like a small slice of peacefully quiet heaven. Of course those days are few and far between, but who am I to question this fortuitious time in my life, besides - I did ask for it.

Part of me is still in the career-mom mind set though. And I send my resume to open positions daily because it feels like the thing to do. I guess now that I have had a taste of both worlds I can see the pros/cons of both sides of the argument. So I guess I am still a look-e-lou from the middle of the fence.

In the meantime, sign me up for a mini-van because this mom's got soccer practice to get to.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love this Jen! I can't wait to read more! I bet you are an awesome stay at home mom! The best advice I got when I was home with the kids and feeling overwhelmed about a mom's "to-do" list was that we define what 'stay at home mom' means. I say you are doing an amazing job! (I still have Julian's present here!!! Sorry!!!